The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga #1) 
Crossposted from my blog2 StarsIve spoken about my love of all things Arthurian before, so I was really expecting to enjoy this book. All the ingredients are there its centered on a character I normally like, on events that are often just skated over as prologue, and grounded in more unique realistic Dark Age Britain than the typical castles and knights setting. It was also pretty popular back in its day. Alas, I learn, yet again, that popularity often has little to do with quality. Its not
Exquisite tale, exceptionally well written, very suspenseful and pretty close to the legend. It probably inspired the best Merlin series - the Sam Neill one and the BBC (Young) Merlin.However, one star out for the occasional (thank goodness: one or two more would have ruined the book!) anticlerical, antiChristian and also historically false remarks (e.g. it is very well known to everyone who reads history the fact that, contrary to misconception and propaganda, Christian Church was not against

The first, and one of the very few, books that has ever reconciled me to Arthurian myth. After slogging through hideous Victorian sentimental priggishness everywhere else, this is a breath of fresh and magical air into a tired story.
5 enthusiastic stars!"The first memory of all is dark and fireshot. It is not my own memory, but later you will understand how I know these things. You would call it not memory so much as a dream of the past, something in the blood, something recalled from him, it may be, while he still bore me in his body. I believe that such things can be. So it seems to me right that I should start with him who was before me, and who will be again when I am gone." Wow! This book was exceptional! I was
I read this for the Dead Writers Society Genres for Everyone September 2016 challenge. You know when I was a young girl the story of King Arthur and his knights of the round-table fascinated me. I read every book about Arthur I could find and even read Le Morte d'Arthur and had to go digging in my dictionary to figure out certain words. There was something about Camelot, the idea that a King who believed in truth and justice and was surrounded by men who were loyal to him (we will discuss
I actually read this book first when I was 11 or 12 and would have rated it a 5 with that self. When I was a girl I was lucky enough to be a tomboy and have male figures in my life who taught me the things I would later realize were traditionally "guy stuff". I remembered this book with a mystical fondness because I remember absolutely identifying with the character of Merlin and cast myself in the role of boy adventurer.Unfortunately, I have to now temper that literal reading with things I am
Mary Stewart
Paperback | Pages: 494 pages Rating: 4.13 | 40950 Users | 1616 Reviews

Define Books Conducive To The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga #1)
| Original Title: | The Crystal Cave |
| ISBN: | 0060548258 (ISBN13: 9780060548254) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Arthurian Saga #1 |
| Characters: | Niniane, Merlin, Uther Pendragon, Ralf, Aurelius Ambrosius, Vortigern, Galapas, Cadal, Ygraine, Ulfin |
| Setting: | United Kingdom |
| Literary Awards: | Mythopoeic Fantasy Award (1971) |
Relation Concering Books The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga #1)
Fifth century Britain is a country of chaos and division after the Roman withdrawal. This is the world of young Merlin, the illegitimate child of a South Wales princess who will not reveal to her son his father's true identity. Yet Merlin is an extraordinary child, aware at the earliest age that he possesses a great natural gift - the Sight. Against a background of invasion and imprisonment, wars and conquest, Merlin emerges into manhood, and accepts his dramatic role in the New Beginning - the coming of King Arthur.Be Specific About About Books The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga #1)
| Title | : | The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga #1) |
| Author | : | Mary Stewart |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 494 pages |
| Published | : | May 1st 2003 by Eos (first published January 1st 1970) |
| Categories | : | Fantasy. Fiction. Historical. Historical Fiction. Mythology. Arthurian. Science Fiction Fantasy |
Rating About Books The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga #1)
Ratings: 4.13 From 40950 Users | 1616 ReviewsAppraise About Books The Crystal Cave (Arthurian Saga #1)
Who was Merlin? Most of us know the Arthurian tales in some aspect or another, and in them each of us has an idea of the role of Merlin, the great wizard who guides Arthur to be a great king. Few of us have ever stopped to think that legends spring from men and to wonder who the man was who was Merlin. Mary Stewart stopped to ask that question, and then proceeded to answer it with such finesse and glory and brilliance that whatever image of Merlin you have ever held will be dispelled and onlyCrossposted from my blog2 StarsIve spoken about my love of all things Arthurian before, so I was really expecting to enjoy this book. All the ingredients are there its centered on a character I normally like, on events that are often just skated over as prologue, and grounded in more unique realistic Dark Age Britain than the typical castles and knights setting. It was also pretty popular back in its day. Alas, I learn, yet again, that popularity often has little to do with quality. Its not
Exquisite tale, exceptionally well written, very suspenseful and pretty close to the legend. It probably inspired the best Merlin series - the Sam Neill one and the BBC (Young) Merlin.However, one star out for the occasional (thank goodness: one or two more would have ruined the book!) anticlerical, antiChristian and also historically false remarks (e.g. it is very well known to everyone who reads history the fact that, contrary to misconception and propaganda, Christian Church was not against

The first, and one of the very few, books that has ever reconciled me to Arthurian myth. After slogging through hideous Victorian sentimental priggishness everywhere else, this is a breath of fresh and magical air into a tired story.
5 enthusiastic stars!"The first memory of all is dark and fireshot. It is not my own memory, but later you will understand how I know these things. You would call it not memory so much as a dream of the past, something in the blood, something recalled from him, it may be, while he still bore me in his body. I believe that such things can be. So it seems to me right that I should start with him who was before me, and who will be again when I am gone." Wow! This book was exceptional! I was
I read this for the Dead Writers Society Genres for Everyone September 2016 challenge. You know when I was a young girl the story of King Arthur and his knights of the round-table fascinated me. I read every book about Arthur I could find and even read Le Morte d'Arthur and had to go digging in my dictionary to figure out certain words. There was something about Camelot, the idea that a King who believed in truth and justice and was surrounded by men who were loyal to him (we will discuss
I actually read this book first when I was 11 or 12 and would have rated it a 5 with that self. When I was a girl I was lucky enough to be a tomboy and have male figures in my life who taught me the things I would later realize were traditionally "guy stuff". I remembered this book with a mystical fondness because I remember absolutely identifying with the character of Merlin and cast myself in the role of boy adventurer.Unfortunately, I have to now temper that literal reading with things I am


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.