
Itemize Books To A History of the World in 10½ Chapters
| Original Title: | A History of the World in 10½ Chapters |
| ISBN: | 0679731377 (ISBN13: 9780679731375) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Representaion Supposing Books A History of the World in 10½ Chapters
Beginning with an unlikely stowaway's account of life on board Noah's Ark, A History of the World in 10½ Chapters presents a surprising, subversive, fictional history of earth told from several kaleidoscopic perspectives. Noah disembarks from his ark but he and his Voyage are not forgotten: they are revisited in on other centuries and other climes - by a Victorian spinster mourning her father, by an American astronaut on an obsessive personal mission. We journey to the Titanic, to the Amazon, to the raft of the Medusa, and to an ecclesiastical court in medieval France where a bizarre case is about to begin... This is no ordinary history, but something stranger, a challenge and a delight for the reader's imagination. Ambitious yet accessible, witty and playfully serious, this is the work of a brilliant novelist.
Be Specific About Regarding Books A History of the World in 10½ Chapters
| Title | : | A History of the World in 10½ Chapters |
| Author | : | Julian Barnes |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 320 pages |
| Published | : | November 27th 1990 by Vintage (first published 1989) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Short Stories. Historical. Historical Fiction. European Literature. British Literature. Contemporary |
Rating Regarding Books A History of the World in 10½ Chapters
Ratings: 3.89 From 12405 Users | 897 ReviewsEvaluation Regarding Books A History of the World in 10½ Chapters
A History of the World in 10½ Chapters was not what I expected, but that happens a lot to me when reading Julian Barnes. I like surprises, and enjoyed the book. My problem is frequently uncontrolled expectations. I had a similar feeling reading Flaubert's Parrot, if I remember correctly since I read both years ago. It is highly entertaining and the choice of narrator in each fragment is a feat of imagination. Always true with Barnes' writings. The story grew on me as I read on, at the same timeIf you were drawn to this (fifth) Barnes title expecting a full length novel , you may well feel short changed. This is a selection of short stories (some of which are very good), brought together by linkages which, to this reader were too contrived, and the efforts made to create the impression of some sort of homogeneity through the book, were its weakest element. No more woodworm please. Beetles do not make compelling subject matter at any level unless you are a coleopterist or an aspiring
No, I am apparently in a minority of one but overall I find this book irritating. There are some wonderful moments and one chapter in particular, ' Parenthesis', is a joy from start to finish (24 pages long) but other chapters are tediously over written, and at times obscure, with occasional nuggets but little to detain, satisfy or inspire. Can appreciate that some ideas are well crafted, and much of the writing flows, but the topics covered are dull and uninteresting and , in my case, rarely

I fucking LOVE this book. I love his wit, I love the weirdness of the stories. I love how everything ties together. Barnes is such a fun writer. This was sheer joy to read.
I love the story about his wife's neck and hair; very romantic. I believe the same wife was Martin Amis's agent and when he got a new agent J. and M. got in a big fight, or something? Hence the three stars; I'm more interested in his dust-up with Martin Amis than his writing. I suppose that's a personal problem.
Every book by Julian Barnes manages to amaze me. His proficiency with the language and his sheer ingenuity in using it to write about such diverse topics makes him one of the best and most versatile writers ever. This book is a magical ride in the mind of the author as he writes connected chapters all of which have their heart and soul in an underlying idea, something that in spirit guides the reader through the marvellous journey that the author paves for us.In 300-odd pages the author manages
For whatever reason, I like my fiction to cohere in predictable ways; oftentimes when that doesnt happen, I leave a reading experience feeling less than satisfied. Chalk it up to being weaned on something other than the so-called postmodern novel. In several ways, A History of the World in 10 ½ Chapters complicates my expectations. It can feel more like a series of short stories than a traditional novel however, one cannot avoid the interconnectedness they share. The chapters do span the scope


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.