Declare Books In Favor Of The Pickup
| Original Title: | The Pickup |
| ISBN: | 0142001422 (ISBN13: 9780142001424) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Julie Summers |
| Literary Awards: | Booker Prize Nominee for Longlist (2001), Commonwealth Writers' Prize for Best Book in Africa (2002) |
Nadine Gordimer
Paperback | Pages: 288 pages Rating: 3.56 | 3148 Users | 407 Reviews
Representaion Toward Books The Pickup
When Julie Summers's car breaks down on a sleazy street in a South African city, a young Arab mechanic named Abdu comes to her aid. Their attraction to one another is fueled by different motives. Julie is in rebellion against her wealthy background and her father; Abdu, an illegal immigrant, is desperate to avoid deportation to his impoverished country. In the course of their relationship, there are unpredictable consequences, and overwhelming emotions will overturn each one's notion of the other. Set in the new South Africa and in an Arab village in the desert, The Pickup is "a masterpiece of creative empathy . . . a gripping tale of contemporary anguish and unexpected desire, and it also opens the Arab world to unusually nuanced perception" (Edward W. Said).
Define Containing Books The Pickup
| Title | : | The Pickup |
| Author | : | Nadine Gordimer |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 288 pages |
| Published | : | September 24th 2002 by Penguin Books (first published 2001) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Cultural. Africa. Southern Africa. South Africa. Nobel Prize. Contemporary |
Rating Containing Books The Pickup
Ratings: 3.56 From 3148 Users | 407 ReviewsComment On Containing Books The Pickup
Obviously, Nadine Gordimer is an author of the first rank, distinguished by multiple awards, a Nobel Prize for Literature among them. However, The Pickup can not be judged to be among her finest works. Even beyond that, there are many areas that seem deeply in need of editorial guidance to allow this book to stand as a truly convincing story of a woman named Julie, the aimless 30 year old daughter of a wealthy, well-connected, post-Apartheid South African lawyer, someone who befriends (picks up)As I become a more and more weathered reader, and I realize that word suggests that I am eroded and scorned and maybe even a little grey less attractive after sun and heat and wind and rain and snow and ice but that is not my intention at all, I use the work "unrivalled" less and less to describe the writers that I admire. I'm less concerned about using that word to describe Nadine Gordimer. She has the prizes and awards to suggest she is unrivalled, or, at least, her rivals are limited to those
And again: America, America. The great and terrible USA. Australia, New Zealand--that would have been something better? Anywhere would be, America. The harshest country in the world. The highest buildings to reach up to in corporate positions (there he is, one of the poor devils, the beloved one, climbing a home-made rope ladder up forty storeys); and to jump off from head-first. That's where the world is. He thinks I don't know; he doesn't know.

I actually liked this book and i would've given it 4 stars up until the ending. I want to know what happened to Julie and Ibrahim?!?! Really, Nadine, really?? 🤔ðŸ˜
Truth be told, I really didnt like this story. On a couple of levels.First, the plot. I found Julie to be utterly insufferable. Every decision she makes is not real, its just another way for her to do exactly what everyone else doesnt want her to do. At nearly 30, shes way too old for the teenage rebellion. She and her "friends" at the cafe live their entire lives trying to meet some sort of moral code that they think makes them superior to everyone else while they are completely unappreciative
Immigration and the nature of privilege are two very hot topics these days (especially to the masochistic readers of certain newspapers). So it was back in 2001, when Nadine Gordimer published The Pickup. The story is actually rather simple, in essence: Julie, a South African woman of achingly liberal views and a wealthy background, pursues a relationship with Abdu, an illegal immigrant, which eventually leads to them returning together to his home village. Can love overcome social and cultural
I did not like the structure of the novel. I couldn't get who was talking half of the time. Half of the time I was confused wither some of the sentences were dialogues or it was descriptive. It was so bad a terrible, I would have never pick it up if it was not for a course I am taking for the university. I did not like Abdu.Julie was a pathetic woman, until the last pages. (good for you girl)I did not like how the females , Abdu's sisters are portrayed. It was so "oppressed-looked" I don't know


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.