Point Books As Consider Phlebas (Culture #1)
| Original Title: | Consider Phlebas |
| ISBN: | 1857231384 (ISBN13: 9781857231380) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Culture #1 |
| Characters: | Horza |
Iain M. Banks
Paperback | Pages: 471 pages Rating: 3.86 | 70778 Users | 3716 Reviews

Particularize Of Books Consider Phlebas (Culture #1)
| Title | : | Consider Phlebas (Culture #1) |
| Author | : | Iain M. Banks |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 471 pages |
| Published | : | April 14th 1988 by Orbit (first published April 23rd 1987) |
| Categories | : | Science Fiction. Fiction. Space. Space Opera. Science Fiction Fantasy. Fantasy. Cultural |
Representaion In Pursuance Of Books Consider Phlebas (Culture #1)
The war raged across the galaxy. Billions had died, billions more were doomed. Moons, planets, the very stars themselves, faced destruction, cold-blooded, brutal, and worse, random. The Idirans fought for their Faith; the Culture for its moral right to exist. Principles were at stake. There could be no surrender. Within the cosmic conflict, an individual crusade. Deep within a fabled labyrinth on a barren world, a Planet of the Dead proscribed to mortals, lay a fugitive Mind. Both the Culture and the Idirans sought it. It was the fate of Horza, the Changer, and his motley crew of unpredictable mercenaries, human and machine, actually to find it, and with it their own destruction.Rating Of Books Consider Phlebas (Culture #1)
Ratings: 3.86 From 70778 Users | 3716 ReviewsEvaluation Of Books Consider Phlebas (Culture #1)
Its not you, its me.Ive got to watch out for space operas. I will either buy in early or I just wont. And then Im staring at 400 pages of ehh.Its too bad, I really liked the idea and Banks writing seemed inspired. There was a cool interstellar culture called The Culture. The post-scarcity confederacy of different races reminded me of Star Trek and there was also some Dune references.But it just didnt take. DNF at 30%, life's too short.Sorry Iain, I might try again some other time.Welcome to another edition of 'Notable Genre Author Fails to Impress Some Guy on the Internet', I'll be your host: some guy. Like so many highly-lauded authors featured here, Banks has been haunting my shelf for quite some time now. Countless are the times I have passed this book before bed, letting my eyes linger longingly on the spine, relishing the notion that I will actually read this book, some day. There have even been those occasions where I thumbed it down, peering at the cover,
I read all of Iain Banks' Culture books in order in which they were written, beginning with Consider Phlebas and ending with the latest, Surface Detail, from 2008 through 2010. Consider Phlebas being the first Culture book Banks wrote, it was the first I read back in the Spring of 2008. I liked it. One might even say I liked it a lot. But I didn't love it. Not yet.I just re-read Consider Phlebas and I can tell you its a whole different book when you have the entire collection under your belt.

Many discerning readers, even ones who like SF, will reflexively sneer if you say the dreaded words "space opera". One need only think of E.E. Doc Smith, for a long time the unquestioned king of this particular sub-genre. I read Galactic Patrol when I was at primary school; like innumerable other geeky nine year olds, I adored it, and particularly loved the "Helmuth speaking for Boskone" tagline. I also remember how, aged 12 or 13, I picked it up to see if the magic was still there. Oh dear! It
This is the second Culture book I read but the first one Iain M. Banks wrote. One of us did something wrong, because I liked The Player of Games a lot more, and yet my reasons for not liking Consider Phlebas are almost all about what the book isn't.It isn't about the Culture, for one thing. Sort of. Not really. The other books in the series are from the perspective of a citizen of the Culture, which is difficult to define succinctly so I will just say, imagine if you lived in a universe where
'Consider Phlebas' by Iain M. Banks is the first novel in the Culture series. I loved it! This book is an amazing thrill ride of fast-paced entertainment as well as a fantastically imagined universe full of hard science technology.The science is the best part. All the cool body add-ons. Let's hope our current gene wars in 2011 come out for using and exploring this technology. I'd LOVE glanding! Individual scenes in this book are fast and furious and you won't want to quit reading until the next
HmmmmA good-but-not-great SF adventure in a war between two opposing ideologies.But it's one of those works that never really develops the ideas in an SF sort of way. I feel like the author had a good Alistair MacLean novel in his head, and a can of Super Sci-Fi Paint in the garage, and slapped the paint on the novel and called it science fiction.But in a well-intentioned way. Like the Star Wars prequels. :DMonopoly for A.I. Although the "Mind" artificial intelligence, which was the subject of


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.