Itemize Books During The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse
| ISBN: | 0140448993 (ISBN13: 9780140448993) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Characters: | Héloïse d'Argenteuil, Pierre Abélard |
| Setting: | Paris(France) |

Pierre Abélard
Paperback | Pages: 383 pages Rating: 3.76 | 3975 Users | 235 Reviews
Present Based On Books The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse
| Title | : | The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse |
| Author | : | Pierre Abélard |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Revised Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 383 pages |
| Published | : | 2003 by Penguin Books (first published 1133) |
| Categories | : | History. Classics. Nonfiction. Historical. Medieval. Religion. Cultural. France |
Rendition Supposing Books The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse
The story of the relationship between Abélard and Héloïse is one of the world’s most celebrated and tragic love affairs. It is told through the letters of Peter Abélard, a French philosopher and one of the greatest logicians of the twelfth century, and of his gifted pupil Héloïse. Through their impassioned writings unfolds the story of a romance, from its reckless, ecstatic beginnings through to public scandal, an enforced secret marriage and its devastating consequences. These eloquent and intimate letters express a vast range of emotions from adoration and devotion to reproach, indignation and grief, and offer a fascinating insight into religious life in the Middle Ages. This is the revised edition of Betty Radice's highly regarded translation, in which Michael Clanchy, the biographer of Abélard, updates the scholarship on the letters and the lovers. This volume includes Abélard's remarkable autobiography and his spiritual advice to Héloïse and her nuns, as well as a selection of the 'lost love letters' of Abélard and Héloïse, letters between Héloïse and Peter the Venerable, two of Abélard's hymns, a chronology, notes and maps.Rating Based On Books The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse
Ratings: 3.76 From 3975 Users | 235 ReviewsAssess Based On Books The Letters of Abélard and Héloïse
I must say that these letters were not quite what I had expected. That was because Abelard and Heloise didn't exactly live up to their reputation. I'm not sure how they ever ended up on the most-romantic-tragic-love-story-list. Don't get me wrong, I found the letters profoundly interesting on many different levels. A treasure for historians. Interesting character studies. But romantic? Not so much.Abelard strikes me as too much of a narcissist to raise much sympathy for his misfortunesIt's hard for me to say "loved it" about these letters, because it's hard to peel the love story away from knowledge of Abélard's "misfortunes" (told with great pious self-pity in his "Historia calamitatum") and his subsequent spiritual domination, and then abandonment, of Héloïse. Also, I happen to like Héloïse a whole lot better, and so the preference makes for a lopsided reading. Still, the progression of affection between the two writers/lovers - from eros to caritas, to borrow papal
Both Abelard and Heloise are good at expressing themselves (and the translation I am reading seems to be a good one -- it has many interesting explanatory footnotes).I know I should not be so surprised, but I am finding Abelard to be nothing more than a total self-centered jerk and I find myself getting cross at Heloise for taking it from him. Admittedly I have only read his narration of his "troubles", which tells of their meeting, their romance, their secret marriage, his sudden castration by

I must say that these letters were not quite what I had expected. That was because Abelard and Heloise didn't exactly live up to their reputation. I'm not sure how they ever ended up on the most-romantic-tragic-love-story-list. Don't get me wrong, I found the letters profoundly interesting on many different levels. A treasure for historians. Interesting character studies. But romantic? Not so much.Abelard strikes me as too much of a narcissist to raise much sympathy for his misfortunes
robin wrote: "Unfortunately, I have never read these letters. I have read medieval scholar Helen Waddel's 1933 novel "Peter Abelard", which tells the
Abelard is a dick and you cannot convince me otherwise.
What is it about human love that makes it despicable in the sights of religion.?! I started reading this book thinking I'll see love in its pure form in these letters. But all I saw was hypocrisy and selfishness. Heloise expressed her feelings truly in the first letter. But in the next one,she seems much irked by Abelard's letter and her decision to wholeheartedly give herself to God doesn't seem a honest one. I felt it as a lover's attempt to get some sort of communication from her beloved. She


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.