Specify Books Toward The Brothers K
| Original Title: | The Brothers K |
| ISBN: | 055337849X (ISBN13: 9780553378498) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Literary Awards: | Oregon Book Award Nominee for Fiction (Finalist) (1993) |
David James Duncan
Paperback | Pages: 645 pages Rating: 4.38 | 13539 Users | 1770 Reviews

Point Based On Books The Brothers K
| Title | : | The Brothers K |
| Author | : | David James Duncan |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 645 pages |
| Published | : | June 1st 1996 by Dial Press Trade Paperback (first published 1992) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Sports. Baseball. Historical. Historical Fiction. Novels |
Representaion During Books The Brothers K
Duncan took almost 10 years to follow up the publication of his much-praised first novel, The River Why, but this massive second effort is well worth the wait. It is a stunning work: a complex tapestry of family tensions, baseball, politics and religion, by turns hilariously funny and agonizingly sad. Highly inventive formally, the novel is mainly narrated by Kincaid Chance, the youngest son in a family of four boys and identical twin girls, the children of Hugh Chance, a discouraged minor-league ballplayer whose once-promising career was curtained by an industrial accident, and his wife Laura, an increasingly fanatical Seventh-Day Adventist. The plot traces the working-out of the family's fate from the beginning of the Eisenhower years through the traumas of Vietnam.Rating Based On Books The Brothers K
Ratings: 4.38 From 13539 Users | 1770 ReviewsPiece Based On Books The Brothers K
I cannot explain why I loved this book so much except to say that I connected with it on some deep, perhaps subconcious level. This is the only book I've ever read that made me cry, really cry rather than shed a few tears. In fact I bawled nonstop for nearly half an hour towards the end. I confess I remember little about the plot, but I can recommend this book for the beautiful, vivid, unusual, honest writing style. Also the book alternatives between the narratives of each brother, and one comes9.5 on a 5 point scale. Okay maybe 7 out of 5. Both are ridiculous of course but short of revising nearly every prior rating it's the only way I can think of to signify how extraordinary this book is. Seriously. I've been intentionally tight fisted with my 5-star ratings, reserving them for books I've found exceptionally life-enhancing, knowledge-widening, comprehension-giving, paradigm-challenging, soul-enriching &/or breath-taking.Nevertheless The Brothers K has shattered the 5 star
The review below (which was written 5 months ago) still is anemic, but for the life of me, I am just way too intimidated to write a review for what remains my favorite novel.I've never had a book toss me between laughter and tears the way this has (literally-- and I am NOT someone prone to histrionics. Seriously).So, the lame review stands.And my adoration of David James Duncan increases with each read.________________________________________Sometimes I don't even want to review a book.You know

The praise that this novel continues to attract mystifies me. Its protracted, rambling narrative about the various members of a wholly uninteresting family felt phony to me from its first word. Only a long list of laudatory reviews kept me reading in the hope that The Brothers K would get better. Every seventy pages or so, it seemed it was getting better and soon would become very good, indeed--at which point the author stumbled-in yet again with a fresh inanity to destroy the mood, the moment,
It may be different for other people, but we in our green youth have to settle the eternal questions first. (Quote from "The Brothers Karamazov" used to head a chapter in this novel.)I started this book after finishing The Art of Fielding. Not wanting to leave that world, I thought this book would be a good follow-up; and though this novel is an American (especially of the Pacific Northwest) epic, while the other is an American (specifically Midwestern) sliver of time, I was right. Here was
Short summary right at finishing: This was a wonderful book. I don't even care that it had baseball in it and that sometimes I needed to skim those parts. This novel about a family going through life, in the 1960s in Camas, Washington, and the characters are so vibrant and real I may never forget them. Highly, highly recommended. I'm hoarding quotations after the spoiler cut, but I'm not prepared to fold them into a longer review quite yet.(view spoiler)["Questions don't make you a fisherman.
This was a very good book - worthy of the highest rating and all the acclaim it has garnered. Though basically the story of a family's struggle to cope with changing times during the turbulent 60s, I don't recall ever reading a work of fiction that better explores the consequences of religious extremism on family life. That's serious subject matter, but the book is actually very funny with several laugh-out-loud moments.The novel features a mother who is a strict Seventh Day Adventist and


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.