Books Download Atheism: The Case Against God Free

Share:

Define Containing Books Atheism: The Case Against God

Title:Atheism: The Case Against God
Author:George H. Smith
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 355 pages
Published:September 1st 1979 by Prometheus Books
Categories:Religion. Atheism. Philosophy. Nonfiction. Skepticism
Books Download Atheism: The Case Against God  Free
Atheism: The Case Against God Paperback | Pages: 355 pages
Rating: 3.94 | 3722 Users | 104 Reviews

Interpretation During Books Atheism: The Case Against God

Does a god exist? This question has undoubtedly been asked, in one form or another, since man has had the ability to communicate. . . Thousands of volumes have been written on the subject of a god, and the vast majority have answered the questions with a resounding 'Yes!' "

"You are about to read a minority viewpoint."

With this intriguing introduction, George H. Smith sets out to demolish what he considers the most widespread and destructive of all the myths devised by man - the concept of a supreme being. With painstaking scholarship and rigorous arguments, Mr. Smith examines, dissects, and refutes the myriad "proofs" offered by theists - the defenses of sophisticated, professional theologians, as well as the average religious layman. He explores the historical and psychological havoc wrought by religion in general - and concludes that religious belief cannot have any place in the life of modern, rational man.

"It is not my purpose to convert people to atheism . . . (but to) demonstrate that the belief in God is irrational to the point of absurdity. If a person wishes to continue believing in a god, that is his prerogative, but he can no longer excuse his belief in the name of reason and moral necessity.

Specify Books As Atheism: The Case Against God

Original Title: Atheism: The Case Against God
ISBN: 087975124X (ISBN13: 9780879751241)
Edition Language: English


Rating Containing Books Atheism: The Case Against God
Ratings: 3.94 From 3722 Users | 104 Reviews

Evaluation Containing Books Atheism: The Case Against God
Yes, I am an atheist, and was before I ever opened this book. I guess the reason I rate this book so highly is because it's a philosophical approach dealing with the various arguments for a God. Too often what I've seen dubbed "The New Atheism" comes across as hectoring, shrill, even, dare I say, evangelical, with all the sophistication of a three-year-old stamping their feet and screaming "Religion sucks." There are a couple of chapters on the consequences and "sins" of religion, yes, but at

Atheism: The Case Against God by George H. Smith "Atheism: The Case Against God" is an accessible, scholarly philosophical book that makes compelling arguments against the concept of a supreme being. It's a book that offers cogent arguments to the question of god() in a logical manner. This 355-page book is composed of the following four parts: 1. Atheism and God, 2. Reason, Faith and Revelation, 3. The Arguments for God, and 4. God: The Practical Consequences. Positives: 1. A thorough,

Five stars because it's probably the best book presenting a rational case against God I've read. (I'm a theist btw [and just for clarity, that space is supposed to be there]) It's still relevant even though it was written in the '70s. (I think it was published in 1979)It's serious and philosophically tight, not the militant, philosophically ignorant silliness being published by Dawkins, Harris, et al.

It was this book, read when I was 19, that put a name to what I'd been feeling for two years. Smith labeled my beliefs that I had only until that point thought were "lacks" of beliefs, intangible and unknowable. This book did nothing to "sway" or "lure" me; I knew what I was feeling long before this. I just didn't have a definitive name for it. I exhaled deeply when I read that others felt the same way, even though I didn't "come out" until thirteen years later. This little book will always have

As someone who considers themself an atheist, I was initially skeptical about how much I would gain from a book with a thesis I already more or less accept. However Atheism: The Case Against God proved to be one of the most enjoyable secular/non-religious books Ive read. Despite a few quibbles here and there, George H. Smiths classic book holds up surprisingly well after 40 years. Smith responds to common religious arguments as well as objections to atheism in very unique and interesting ways

Smith's book is well-written and pugilistic, perhaps a bit too polemical and militant. An acknowledgement of Christianity's contributions to civilization, particularly individualism, would have strengthened the book and made it harder for critics to dismiss (particularly because Smith comes from the individualist tradition). Presumably due to the context of the time of writing, Islam is practically ignored. Some of the more complicated and plausible philosophical arguments (usually Thomist) he

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.