Books Download Free Whitethorn Online

Share:

Mention Epithetical Books Whitethorn

Title:Whitethorn
Author:Bryce Courtenay
Book Format:Hardcover
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 683 pages
Published:January 1st 2005 by Penguin Group
Categories:Fiction. Cultural. Africa. Southern Africa. South Africa. Historical. Historical Fiction
Books Download Free Whitethorn  Online
Whitethorn Hardcover | Pages: 683 pages
Rating: 4.08 | 2603 Users | 162 Reviews

Narrative To Books Whitethorn

From Bryce Courtenay comes a new novel about Africa. The time is 1939. White South Africa is a deeply divided nation with many of the Afrikaner people fanatically opposed to the English.

The world is also on the brink of war and South Africa elects to fight for the Allied cause against Germany. Six-year-old Tom Fitzsaxby finds himself in The Boys Farm, an orphanage in a remote town in the high mountains, where the Afrikaners side fiercely with Hitler's Germany.

Tom's English name proves sufficient for him to be ostracised, marking him as an outsider. And so begin some of life's tougher lessons for the small, lonely boy. Like the Whitethorn, one of Africa's most enduring plants, Tom learns how to survive in the harsh climate of racial hatred. Then a terrible event sends him on a journey to ensure that justice is done. On the way, his most unexpected discovery is love.

This is a return to Africa for me, a revisiting of a past that wasn't always easy, but which nevertheless gave my childhood a richness and understanding that served me well in later life. After ten books set in my beloved Australia, Whitethorn is back to that fierce and dark landscape where kindness and cruelty, love and hate share the same backyard. I do hope you enjoy it.

Bryce Courtenay

Itemize Books During Whitethorn

Original Title: Whitethorn
ISBN: 067002922X (ISBN13: 9780670029228)
Edition Language: English
Characters: Tom Fitzaxby
Setting: South Africa

Rating Epithetical Books Whitethorn
Ratings: 4.08 From 2603 Users | 162 Reviews

Evaluation Epithetical Books Whitethorn
Bryce Courtenay has once again managed to immerse the reader in the real life drama of history and social injustice without becoming biased, political or preachy. It is the plot and characters of his narrative that tear into the very soul of his reader. Readers feel the injustices, cruelty and pain of the dysfunctional aspects of society. The story is more than a journey into the history of Kenya and South Africa, but more of an immersion into the lives of his characters in those settings. There

I'm a big fan of Bryce Courtenay's stories. They are full of warm and wonderful people. His descriptions of the land and settings almost puts me there. I would highly recommend many of his works. But, his Africa books go beyond the storyline. They show the love this man has for his country, his deep understanding of its problems, beauty, flaws and the love he has for the people of Africa. It's this aspect that he brings to the story, without any blubbering or emotionalism, that pushes his Africa

I'm a big fan of Bryce Courtenay's stories. They are full of warm and wonderful people. His descriptions of the land and settings almost puts me there. I would highly recommend many of his works. But, his Africa books go beyond the storyline. They show the love this man has for his country, his deep understanding of its problems, beauty, flaws and the love he has for the people of Africa. It's this aspect that he brings to the story, without any blubbering or emotionalism, that pushes his Africa

I thoroughly enjoy Courtenay's books. Whitethorn was excellent, as usual. He brought the apartheid issues to life in the form of his characters. Some of them suffered under the regime, while others enjoyed and benefited by it. The characters were fleshed out well. I 'read' the audio version, and the narration was just excellent. I don't know how the narrator managed to convey so many different accents and personalities, not to mention gender.The book was probably longer than necessary. Toward

I'd heard lots of praise for Bryce Courtney and he lived up to all the recommendations. Great piece of historical fiction with wonderful character development. I learned a lot about South Africa and specifically, the movement of the Afrikaners who were so opposed to the colonial power of Great Britain that they (not so secretly) sided with Hitler during the World War II. Young Tom Fitzsaxby grows up in a South Africa which was divided by racial hatred and bigotry yet he manages to survive and

Possibly the best novel I have ever read and especially from a South African perspective. I could not put it down! Excellent!!

Wavered between love and then just boredom.Gave up at page 350 of 671 pages but did skim read pages to find out what happened to Mattress.If I had no other book ever to read I think this one would have been a winner as it just took forever to get to the point.I don't really know why it didn't work as it could have been amazing if it had been condensed. It was just far too lengthy and repetitive for my liking.

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.