Specify Books In Pursuance Of Everyman
| Original Title: | Everyman |
| ISBN: | 0307277712 (ISBN13: 9780307277718) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Setting: | New Jersey(United States) |
| Literary Awards: | PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction (2007) |
Philip Roth
Paperback | Pages: 182 pages Rating: 3.59 | 16043 Users | 1616 Reviews

List Appertaining To Books Everyman
| Title | : | Everyman |
| Author | : | Philip Roth |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | First Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 182 pages |
| Published | : | April 10th 2007 by Vintage (first published May 9th 2006) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Literature. Novels. American |
Commentary Toward Books Everyman
There is no more decorated American writer living today than Philip Roth, the New York Times best-selling author of American Pastoral, The Human Stain, and The Plot Against America. He has won a Pulitzer Prize, two National Book Awards, two National Book Critics Circle Awards, two PEN/Faulkner Awards, and numerous other distinctions. The hero of Everyman is obsessed with mortality. As he reminds himself at one point, "I'm 34! Worry about oblivion when you're 75." But he cannot help himself. He is the ex-husband in three marriages gone wrong. He is the father of two sons who detest him, despite a daughter who adores him. And as his health worsens, he is the envious brother of a much fitter man. A masterful portrait of one man's inner struggles, Everyman is a brilliant showcase for one of the world's most distinguished novelists.Rating Appertaining To Books Everyman
Ratings: 3.59 From 16043 Users | 1616 ReviewsAssess Appertaining To Books Everyman
Old age isn't a battle, old age is a massacre.He was no more, freed frombeing, entering into nowhere without even knowing it. Just as he'd feared from the start.Everyman, Philip Roth Everyman is a novel by Philip Roth, published by Houghton Mifflin in May 2006. It won the PEN/Faulkner Award for Fiction in 2007. It is Roth's third novel to receive the prize. The book begins at the funeral of its protagonist. The remainder of the book, which ends with his death, looks mournfully back on episodes from his life, including his childhood, where he and his older brother, Howie, worked in his father's shop, Everyman's Jewelry Store. He has been married three
Sad... and very moving!

Old age isnt a battle, old age is a massacre. And so Roth takes us into the world of a man who has just crossed his three score and ten as he spirals down through a series of mounting breakdowns in the physical body until the inevitability of death envelopes him.Everyman (the protagonist has no name in this short novel) takes its title from a medieval play that's theme is the summoning of the living to death. Our Everyman is an average guy, an advertising man and a creative artist who has had a
Almost perfectly balanced, Everyman reads almost like a funeral dirge. The unnamed protagonist goes over various milestones in his personal life and reflects on the inevitability of death and the difficulties on love. It is a quick read but it leaves a deep impression. As always, Roth's prose is descriptive but not overly so, the dialogues are all highly realistic, and the story is revealed in a manner that keeps you turning the pages and kind of wishing there were more after the end. For me,
I was a little nervous about reading Everyman. I didn't know if I wanted to subject myself to a book I knew was going to be such a downer, nor was I in a hurry to be reminded that I'm going to die one day and that growing old will be a terrifying experience.But now that I've finished it, I don't think it'll keep me up at night like I had thought it would. This book is less about the horror of facing your inevitable death, and more about the hell you can create for yourself in old age if you
If I have it my way, I would have included the book in the 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die. Why? This book teaches, or reminds, us on what really matters in life. This prepares us on what to do when it is time to face the music: of getting old, of facing death. I know that sounds like a cliché, but Roth seemed to have poured his heart out in this book. Roth was 71 when he was writing this and the sequence of his life, e.g., series of sickness and divorces, is said to parallel the life of


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.