Books Finding My Hat Online Download Free

Share:

Describe Based On Books Finding My Hat

Title:Finding My Hat
Author:John Son
Book Format:Hardcover
Book Edition:Special Edition
Pages:Pages: 192 pages
Published:October 1st 2003 by Orchard
Categories:Realistic Fiction. Young Adult
Books Finding My Hat  Online Download Free
Finding My Hat Hardcover | Pages: 192 pages
Rating: 3.63 | 82 Users | 24 Reviews

Description In Favor Of Books Finding My Hat

In a semi-autobiographical debut novel that is at turns poignant and laugh-out-loud funny, John Son conveys the uniqueness and universality of a Korean-American childhood.

Jin-Han begins his story with his first memory, when at age two he loses his hat to a sudden gust of wind. While he never finds that particular hat, his search for his "hat"--his identity--coincides with his family's search for their place in America. Struggles in Korea, losses during the Korean War, and the decision to leave behind loved ones to create a better future in a new, foreign place are all a part of Jin-Han's wise, funny story. But at the heart of this insightful novel is his coming of age and a growing awareness of others' perceptions of him.

Details Books During Finding My Hat

Original Title: Finding My Hat
ISBN: 0439435382 (ISBN13: 9780439435383)
Edition Language: English

Rating Based On Books Finding My Hat
Ratings: 3.63 From 82 Users | 24 Reviews

Crit Based On Books Finding My Hat
Very interesting viewpoint, and I love the "sheltering" hat theme throughout

A great tale of growing up an immigrant. I fell in love with the narrator, and that doesn't happen with YA books a lot. Covering birth to teenage years, I think it strikes just the right balance of propriety and scandal to keep both teachers and students engaged in a middle school lit circle.

Good story describing the experiences of a Korean-American boy growing up between two worlds. My only complaints, which are a bit nitpicky:1) I wish the protagonist had either been of school-age or been a young child. I'm not sure my high school students would find reading about a toddler particularly interesting.2) His parents, specifically his father, spoke perfect English except for the overuse of the progressive verb form.3) The references were all to the 1970s (Soul Train and disco balls).

I loved this book, especially as I got further into it. I'm going to have my 11 year old son read it now.

I loved this so much. I found myself thinking of that hilarious show, Fresh Off the Boat.

This was basically a collection of memories from the author's childhood. It was really readable, but would have benefited from an overarching theme or purpose. The memories felt unprocessed, as if the author hadn't ever analyzed them from an adult perspective and was just writing down everything he could remember from his childhood.

"Son's debut novel, an entry in the First Person Fiction series, is a tender quasi-memoir detailing his childhood in a Korean immigrant family, trying to find his place in a new and unfamiliar world. Jin-Han's father is in love with American opportunity and is determined to own his own business. He purchases a wig shop, which takes them from Chicago to Memphis to Houston, where they are at last successful. Along the way, Jin-Han experiences the usual pains of adolescence fitting in,

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.