Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan (The Killing of Historical Figures) 
Autumn 1944. World War II is nearly over in Europe but is escalating in the Pacific, where American soldiers face an opponent who will go to any length to avoid defeat. The Japanese army follows the samurai code of Bushido, stipulating that surrender is a form of dishonor. Killing the Rising Sun takes readers to the bloody tropical-island battlefields of Peleliu and Iwo Jima and to the embattled Philippines, where General Douglas MacArthur has made a triumphant return and is plotting a full-scale invasion of Japan.
Across the globe in Los Alamos, New Mexico, Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer and his team of scientists are preparing to test the deadliest weapon known to mankind. In Washington, DC, FDR dies in office and Harry Truman ascends to the presidency, only to face the most important political decision in history: whether to use that weapon. And in Tokyo, Emperor Hirohito, who is considered a deity by his subjects, refuses to surrender, despite a massive and mounting death toll. Told in the same page-turning style of Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy, Killing Jesus, Killing Patton, and Killing Reagan, this epic saga details the final moments of World War II like never before.
I'd actually give this book closer to 2.5 stars, and here is why:1. I like that this book was very readable; the average American with little knowledge of the war in the Pacific would learn something. It was a very easy read.2. I think the authors took some liberties (especially in regards to assuming some of the inner thoughts of historic figures).3. Most sources used to write this book were not primary - most research came from others' research - I would never recommend this book for academic
Popular history about the vanquishing of Japan during WWII. All told in Bill O'Reilly's voice.The timeline of the development of the Atomic bomb, and examination of Japan's role in the war, and the atrocities the country still hasn't apologized for.Not bad, but hardly a comprehensive history.

Killing the Rising Sun is really a well written, engaging, defense of the use of the atomic bombs that obliterated Hiroshima and Nagasaki which brought the brutal war in the pacific to an end. Today we find well-meaning people who are ready to condemn their country for the use of these two weapons. To them I would say "read this book." The horrible atrocities and murders that the Japanese inflicted on allied prisoners and civilians notwithstanding, O'Reilly's factual accounting of the number of
I wasn't a huge fan of this one. Perhaps I've read too many other World War II accounts, or I was hoping for more, or something... In any case, I hoped for a bit more depth into some of the major players, battles, and circumstances, but the book seemed to be written on a fairly superficial level. For example there were perhaps two pages on Iwo Jima when whole books have struggled to cover that battle with meaning. Also, the use of the present tense was meant to engage the reader, but at times it
It is amazing how much we, not just as a nation but as a people, think we know about history. Throw away those school books that have been sanitized, heavily edited or just erased history because it was politically incorrect or inappropriate. History is not pretty, it is not glamorous as we are lead to believe by the portrayal of our "Heroes" in song or Hollywood. This book throws that narrative out the window and replaces it with reality, with real people, real incidents. It is History not
I almost didn't get this one. I just didn't feel I would enjoy it. A couple of days before it came out, I preordered it from Audible. My format of choice for non-fiction books. While I didn't enjoy it as much as I have the past "killing" books, I did enjoy it and am glad I did get it. I was a little disappointed it wasn't a person that was being killed this time. Surely Bill hasn't run out of people to kill off. Looking forward to the next book. Hopefully it will be a person and Bill will be
Bill O'Reilly
Hardcover | Pages: 323 pages Rating: 4.35 | 14782 Users | 1523 Reviews

Describe Books During Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan (The Killing of Historical Figures)
| Original Title: | Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan |
| ISBN: | 1627790624 (ISBN13: 9781627790628) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | The Killing of Historical Figures |
| Literary Awards: | Goodreads Choice Award Nominee for History & Biography (2016) |
Interpretation Concering Books Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan (The Killing of Historical Figures)
The powerful and riveting new book in the multimillion-selling Killing series by Bill O’Reilly and Martin DugardAutumn 1944. World War II is nearly over in Europe but is escalating in the Pacific, where American soldiers face an opponent who will go to any length to avoid defeat. The Japanese army follows the samurai code of Bushido, stipulating that surrender is a form of dishonor. Killing the Rising Sun takes readers to the bloody tropical-island battlefields of Peleliu and Iwo Jima and to the embattled Philippines, where General Douglas MacArthur has made a triumphant return and is plotting a full-scale invasion of Japan.
Across the globe in Los Alamos, New Mexico, Dr. J. Robert Oppenheimer and his team of scientists are preparing to test the deadliest weapon known to mankind. In Washington, DC, FDR dies in office and Harry Truman ascends to the presidency, only to face the most important political decision in history: whether to use that weapon. And in Tokyo, Emperor Hirohito, who is considered a deity by his subjects, refuses to surrender, despite a massive and mounting death toll. Told in the same page-turning style of Killing Lincoln, Killing Kennedy, Killing Jesus, Killing Patton, and Killing Reagan, this epic saga details the final moments of World War II like never before.
Particularize Based On Books Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan (The Killing of Historical Figures)
| Title | : | Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan (The Killing of Historical Figures) |
| Author | : | Bill O'Reilly |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 323 pages |
| Published | : | September 13th 2016 by Henry Holt and Co. |
| Categories | : | History. Nonfiction. Historical. War. World War II |
Rating Based On Books Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan (The Killing of Historical Figures)
Ratings: 4.35 From 14782 Users | 1523 ReviewsRate Based On Books Killing the Rising Sun: How America Vanquished World War II Japan (The Killing of Historical Figures)
You might not like Bill O'Reilly's political point of view but he is first and foremost, a history teacher. His historical research is on the money and he knows how to present it. With a BA in History, not much here came as a surprise to me but his perspective that Gen X-ers and Millennials might be unaware of the incredible sacrifices made by young Americans fighting the Japanese in the Pacific Theater is particularly significant. Their sacrifices illustrate why America is exceptional!I'd actually give this book closer to 2.5 stars, and here is why:1. I like that this book was very readable; the average American with little knowledge of the war in the Pacific would learn something. It was a very easy read.2. I think the authors took some liberties (especially in regards to assuming some of the inner thoughts of historic figures).3. Most sources used to write this book were not primary - most research came from others' research - I would never recommend this book for academic
Popular history about the vanquishing of Japan during WWII. All told in Bill O'Reilly's voice.The timeline of the development of the Atomic bomb, and examination of Japan's role in the war, and the atrocities the country still hasn't apologized for.Not bad, but hardly a comprehensive history.

Killing the Rising Sun is really a well written, engaging, defense of the use of the atomic bombs that obliterated Hiroshima and Nagasaki which brought the brutal war in the pacific to an end. Today we find well-meaning people who are ready to condemn their country for the use of these two weapons. To them I would say "read this book." The horrible atrocities and murders that the Japanese inflicted on allied prisoners and civilians notwithstanding, O'Reilly's factual accounting of the number of
I wasn't a huge fan of this one. Perhaps I've read too many other World War II accounts, or I was hoping for more, or something... In any case, I hoped for a bit more depth into some of the major players, battles, and circumstances, but the book seemed to be written on a fairly superficial level. For example there were perhaps two pages on Iwo Jima when whole books have struggled to cover that battle with meaning. Also, the use of the present tense was meant to engage the reader, but at times it
It is amazing how much we, not just as a nation but as a people, think we know about history. Throw away those school books that have been sanitized, heavily edited or just erased history because it was politically incorrect or inappropriate. History is not pretty, it is not glamorous as we are lead to believe by the portrayal of our "Heroes" in song or Hollywood. This book throws that narrative out the window and replaces it with reality, with real people, real incidents. It is History not
I almost didn't get this one. I just didn't feel I would enjoy it. A couple of days before it came out, I preordered it from Audible. My format of choice for non-fiction books. While I didn't enjoy it as much as I have the past "killing" books, I did enjoy it and am glad I did get it. I was a little disappointed it wasn't a person that was being killed this time. Surely Bill hasn't run out of people to kill off. Looking forward to the next book. Hopefully it will be a person and Bill will be


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.