Books Online Illywhacker Free Download

Share:
Books Online Illywhacker  Free Download
Illywhacker Paperback | Pages: 569 pages
Rating: 3.77 | 2691 Users | 128 Reviews

Define Books During Illywhacker

Original Title: Illywhacker
ISBN: 057122590X (ISBN13: 9780571225903)
Edition Language: English
Setting: Australia
Literary Awards: Booker Prize Nominee (1985), World Fantasy Award Nominee for Best Novel (1986), National Book Council Banjo Award for Fiction (1985), Victorian Premier's Literary Award for Vance Palmer Prize for Fiction (1986), The Age Book of the Year (1985)

Commentary In Favor Of Books Illywhacker

My previous experiences of Carey have been mixed. I really enjoyed True History of the Kelly Gang, but found both Oscar and Lucinda and Parrot and Olivier in America over-long and a little tedious, though both had their moments and were funny at times. When I saw the size of this one and the density of the print, I feared more of the same, and for roughly half of the book, that expectation seemed to be confirmed. Then something clicked, and I found myself enjoying the second half much more, allowing myself to be carried away by the chutzpah and exuberance of Carey's storytelling. From the start we know that we have an unreliable narrator: "My name is Herbert Bargery. I am a hundred and thirty-nine years old and something of a celebrity... I am a terrible liar and I have always been a liar. I say this early to set things straight. Caveat emptor. " We are soon pitched back to 1919, where Herbert lands his small plane in a field in rural Victoria and charms the McGrath family who are picnicking there. He moves into their house and persuades his host to invest in what would be Australia's first aircraft factory, and the 17 year old daughter Phoebe soon falls for him. This is just the start of a wild, funny and often bawdy picaresque fantasy cum family story that blends social history and magic realism, populated by an array of memorable characters. So yes, it could have been shorter, but in the end I enjoyed the journey.

Mention Appertaining To Books Illywhacker

Title:Illywhacker
Author:Peter Carey
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 569 pages
Published:August 5th 2004 by Faber & Faber (first published January 1st 1985)
Categories:Fiction. Cultural. Australia. Literary Fiction. Literature. Novels. Humor. Fantasy

Rating Appertaining To Books Illywhacker
Ratings: 3.77 From 2691 Users | 128 Reviews

Write Up Appertaining To Books Illywhacker
This was a feast of a novel, course after rich course, hosted by one of the most unreliable narrators you could ever hope to find. It stimulated my appetite, blew my mind (several times), occasionally left a nasty taste in my mouth, but finally left me totally sated and unable to take in another morsel. It was tasty, satisfying, and delicious, and I would happily order from the same author again.

Superb. Carey's finest work. The history of Australia distilled into one character.

My previous experiences of Carey have been mixed. I really enjoyed True History of the Kelly Gang, but found both Oscar and Lucinda and Parrot and Olivier in America over-long and a little tedious, though both had their moments and were funny at times. When I saw the size of this one and the density of the print, I feared more of the same, and for roughly half of the book, that expectation seemed to be confirmed. Then something clicked, and I found myself enjoying the second half much more,

I'm clearly in a minority, but I find Carey too self-obsessed...and the sense that he's trying too hard makes it difficult for me to get involved with his work. I've tried, I honestly have, because so many of my Aussie friends like his stuff.

This novel is about Australia. Not just things that happened there, or people who lived there, but the place itself. It is narrated by Herbert Badgery who lives to be 139. However, Herbert spends very little time talking about himself and his own life - the book is mainly about the people he meets and lives with during his long life - friends, family, lovers, adversaries, etc. He delves into their characters, their histories, and their lives with near-omniscience. The characters are the most

Three generations. Father, Herbert Badgery, book 1. Son, Charles Badgery, book 2, Grandson, Hissao Badgery, book 3. Herbert's father sold huge cannons to little coastal Australian towns, and his mother died when Herbert was very young. Herbert sold cars and dreams of starting an aircraft industry in Australia. His wife (not the first one) ran off when his daughter was born, so Herbert went on tour with the dancer Leah Goldstein to keep the kids fed. Charles built The Best Petshop in the World

Astounding, entertaining, sprawling achievement. Ostensibly the story of a man's (Herbert Badgery's) life, but focusing more on those people/places/events around him. Marvelous blend of the realistic and the bizarre, with superb dialogue and highly evocative throughout of Australian history/psyche through the 20th century. Essentially 5 Stars, but I'm marking it down slightly cos I was never quite completely bamboozled into not noticing that this is more like a collection of short stories.

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.