Woman on the Edge of Time 
But Connie also bears witness to another potential outcome: a dystopian society of grotesque exploitation. One will become our world. And Connie herself may strike the decisive blow...
Published in 1976, this book was remarkably prescient. The way that Piercy has structured her utopian community of the future is not too far off the direction that alternative communities have been moving since the '60s -- and which has only accelerated in recent years, with the greater focus on sustainability and alternate energy sources. She also does a nice job of contrasting the plausible future utopia with an equally plausible dystopia, in which everything is state-controlled,
Still mulling this one over. It was an absolutely compelling read. My heart went out to Connie from the first page. Her treatment by the mental health system was horrifying, and the author's commentary on the treatment of poor people and people of color by society seemed all too real. Even after my lengthy intermission (I had to return the book to the library, and then wait for the hold to work its way back to me), I found myself instantly caught up in it again. The only thing I'm on the fence

This is one of those books you either buy into, saying, yes, what a wonderful world it could be, or you think, what a load of shit, piled high and steaming. This is utopia as seen through the eyes of a fourth-grader, except that it was written by a grown woman taking a swing at science-fiction and missing big-time. The protagonist is a woman and Latina, which ought to make her automatically bullet-proof against any criticism, intelligent or not, but I never bought into how she ended up being
Its interesting how the lens of three decades of life experience can sharpen the focus of certain storiesand even parts of stories. When I first read Woman on the Edge of Time not long after it was published (1976), I was barely into my 20s and already a reliable cog in the corporate machine. At that time, I enjoyed Marge Piercys story of a 37-year-old Chicana woman in New York whose already-complicated life takes a twist for the bizarre when she begins to communicate with an ambassador from the
Disclaimer: The fact that I have to throw another time travel novel into my abandoned book locker may prompt me to be even more harsh in my comments than I should. I want to travel back in time to stop Marge Piercy from publishing this novel. There would be plenty of enjoyable things to see and do in 1976 New York -- experience the Bicentennial celebrations, watch the Cincinnati Reds sweep the Yankees in the World Series, check out Blondie perform at CBGB -- but erasing this novel from history
There were times when I was so frustrated with the main character. She was driving me crazy. She was walking through an entirely different world and assuming everything was the same. I realized why this was bothering me - I was wanting and expecting her to react more like a science fiction reader. (And many science fiction characters.)Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.In the
Marge Piercy
Paperback | Pages: 376 pages Rating: 3.95 | 13504 Users | 906 Reviews

List Regarding Books Woman on the Edge of Time
| Title | : | Woman on the Edge of Time |
| Author | : | Marge Piercy |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 376 pages |
| Published | : | November 12th 1985 by Fawcett Books (first published May 1st 1976) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Science Fiction. Feminism. Time Travel. Dystopia |
Rendition In Pursuance Of Books Woman on the Edge of Time
After being unjustly committed to a mental institution, Connie Ramos is contacted by an envoy from the year 2137, who shows her a utopian future of sexual and racial equality and environmental harmony.But Connie also bears witness to another potential outcome: a dystopian society of grotesque exploitation. One will become our world. And Connie herself may strike the decisive blow...
Describe Books Concering Woman on the Edge of Time
| Original Title: | Woman on the Edge of Time |
| ISBN: | 0449210820 (ISBN13: 9780449210826) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Setting: | New York City, New York(United States) |
Rating Regarding Books Woman on the Edge of Time
Ratings: 3.95 From 13504 Users | 906 ReviewsCritique Regarding Books Woman on the Edge of Time
Published in 1976, this book was remarkably prescient. The way that Piercy has structured her utopian community of the future is not too far off the direction that alternative communities have been moving since the '60s -- and which has only accelerated in recent years, with the greater focus on sustainability and alternate energy sources. She also does a nice job of contrasting the plausible future utopia with an equally plausible dystopia, in which everything is state-controlled,
Still mulling this one over. It was an absolutely compelling read. My heart went out to Connie from the first page. Her treatment by the mental health system was horrifying, and the author's commentary on the treatment of poor people and people of color by society seemed all too real. Even after my lengthy intermission (I had to return the book to the library, and then wait for the hold to work its way back to me), I found myself instantly caught up in it again. The only thing I'm on the fence

This is one of those books you either buy into, saying, yes, what a wonderful world it could be, or you think, what a load of shit, piled high and steaming. This is utopia as seen through the eyes of a fourth-grader, except that it was written by a grown woman taking a swing at science-fiction and missing big-time. The protagonist is a woman and Latina, which ought to make her automatically bullet-proof against any criticism, intelligent or not, but I never bought into how she ended up being
Its interesting how the lens of three decades of life experience can sharpen the focus of certain storiesand even parts of stories. When I first read Woman on the Edge of Time not long after it was published (1976), I was barely into my 20s and already a reliable cog in the corporate machine. At that time, I enjoyed Marge Piercys story of a 37-year-old Chicana woman in New York whose already-complicated life takes a twist for the bizarre when she begins to communicate with an ambassador from the
Disclaimer: The fact that I have to throw another time travel novel into my abandoned book locker may prompt me to be even more harsh in my comments than I should. I want to travel back in time to stop Marge Piercy from publishing this novel. There would be plenty of enjoyable things to see and do in 1976 New York -- experience the Bicentennial celebrations, watch the Cincinnati Reds sweep the Yankees in the World Series, check out Blondie perform at CBGB -- but erasing this novel from history
There were times when I was so frustrated with the main character. She was driving me crazy. She was walking through an entirely different world and assuming everything was the same. I realized why this was bothering me - I was wanting and expecting her to react more like a science fiction reader. (And many science fiction characters.)Note: The rest of this review has been withdrawn due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.In the


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.