Present Books During The spire, William Golding : notes (York Notes Advanced)
| Original Title: | The spire, William Golding : notes |
| ISBN: | 1405835648 (ISBN13: 9781405835640) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | York Notes Advanced |
Steve Eddy
Paperback | Pages: 135 pages Rating: 3.6 | 597 Users | 35 Reviews
Narrative To Books The spire, William Golding : notes (York Notes Advanced)
I think that this was the book that inspired Follett to write, Pillars of the Earth. Although I loved Pillars....this one is the "University of Cambridge" to Follett's "A Good State School" novel. You'll recognize the primise: The vision that drives Dean Jocelin to construct an immense new spire above his cathedral tests the limits of all who surround him. The foundationless stone pillars shriek and the earth beneath them heaves under the structure’s weight as the Dean’s will weighs down his collapsing faith. Now, saying all that, I think I liked Follett's version a little better. This one is artsy, beautifully done, critically acclaimed, and one of those books I felt I should read. Follett's books (there are three in the series) are big door stops - they're huge, but they're easy reads that I flew through.
Be Specific About Of Books The spire, William Golding : notes (York Notes Advanced)
| Title | : | The spire, William Golding : notes (York Notes Advanced) |
| Author | : | Steve Eddy |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Special Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 135 pages |
| Published | : | October 1st 2006 by York Press (first published November 4th 1985) |
| Categories | : | Fiction. Literary Fiction. Classics. Novels. Literature |
Rating Of Books The spire, William Golding : notes (York Notes Advanced)
Ratings: 3.6 From 597 Users | 35 ReviewsComment On Of Books The spire, William Golding : notes (York Notes Advanced)
Did not enjoy this book. Confusing and dull. On the other hand, the play created from the novel, as staged at Salisbury Playhouse (UK) in 2012, is excellent.Golding's story of a man obsessed and destroyed by his obsession whilst being a difficult read due to the narrative style is admittedly brilliantly done. Some of the religious imagery & symbolism used was lost on me, otherwise I would have rated it higher.
I think that this was the book that inspired Follett to write, Pillars of the Earth. Although I loved Pillars....this one is the "University of Cambridge" to Follett's "A Good State School" novel. You'll recognize the primise: The vision that drives Dean Jocelin to construct an immense new spire above his cathedral tests the limits of all who surround him. The foundationless stone pillars shriek and the earth beneath them heaves under the structures weight as the Deans will weighs down his

"The Spire" appears to be post-modern in its approach to the human mind. Unlike "Sons and Lovers" or "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", which depict the development of a character's mind at a young age, "The Spire" follows an elderly reverend's gradual descent into insanity and the corresponding alienation and dissolution of the community he lives in. For a more detailed review of this novel, please visit my blog here: http://tesatorul.blogspot.ro/2012/03/...
the best book ever written about pride and fall
This book was a bit of a 'no, no' for me. I liked certain aspects of it but overall it really kind of got on my nerves. It is praise worthy when you note the symbolism and the manifestation of a man's temptation on the world, however, Golding's characters seemed a little too black and white for me. In 'Lord of the Flies' this served a well drawn out function, but in 'The Spire', it just made me feel that the people were a little colourless and the plot became tasteless as a result.
I've actually been to the Salisbury Cathedral so, well, so nothing; I just wanted to brag.This book is not bad. Golding really does show the obsessive and fanatical quality of blind ambition and religion (these two marrying in this book) and dynamically shows the sexual frustration of priests that lead to horrific acts (in this book, the praying for a tempting woman to die). Also, finally, it shows how spires, or, all tall buildings/skyscrapers, etc are phallic representations of self-concious


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.