Download Books Online Aurora Leigh and Other Poems Free

Share:

Be Specific About Appertaining To Books Aurora Leigh and Other Poems

Title:Aurora Leigh and Other Poems
Author:Elizabeth Barrett Browning
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 416 pages
Published:January 1st 2001 by Women's Press (UK) (first published 1856)
Categories:Poetry. Classics. Fiction. Literature. 19th Century. Historical. Victorian. Academic. School
Download Books Online Aurora Leigh and Other Poems  Free
Aurora Leigh and Other Poems Paperback | Pages: 416 pages
Rating: 3.79 | 221 Users | 6 Reviews

Representaion Concering Books Aurora Leigh and Other Poems

Firstly, I only read Aurora Leigh, not the additional pieces in the book.

EBB begins Aurora Leigh with the posit that epic poetry isn't dead. While I (a) agree that epic poetry is still wonderful to read and (b) see how the form of poetry allowed her to be more emotive than prose might, I have to say that I think the experiment is a failure. Epic poetry is given to action - to battles, hero racing against foe, to Odysseus and Beowulf. It's not given to modern stories like Aurora Leigh, and in particular it's not a good form to periodically go off on tangents (however much their moral explorations are relevant to the main character's narrative) as EBB does.

So while I appreciated EBB's storyline and, to a degree, her storytelling, the main premise of her book - and the resulting slog through what could otherwise have been an enjoyable, easy read - caused me more frustration than anything else. I love poetry - but like all art forms, it needs to be used well by the artist.

Present Books Supposing Aurora Leigh and Other Poems

Original Title: Aurora Leigh and Other Poems (Penguin Classics)
ISBN: 0704338203 (ISBN13: 9780704338203)
Edition Language: English


Rating Appertaining To Books Aurora Leigh and Other Poems
Ratings: 3.79 From 221 Users | 6 Reviews

Appraise Appertaining To Books Aurora Leigh and Other Poems
Firstly, I only read Aurora Leigh, not the additional pieces in the book. EBB begins Aurora Leigh with the posit that epic poetry isn't dead. While I (a) agree that epic poetry is still wonderful to read and (b) see how the form of poetry allowed her to be more emotive than prose might, I have to say that I think the experiment is a failure. Epic poetry is given to action - to battles, hero racing against foe, to Odysseus and Beowulf. It's not given to modern stories like Aurora Leigh, and in

Firstly, I only read Aurora Leigh, not the additional pieces in the book. EBB begins Aurora Leigh with the posit that epic poetry isn't dead. While I (a) agree that epic poetry is still wonderful to read and (b) see how the form of poetry allowed her to be more emotive than prose might, I have to say that I think the experiment is a failure. Epic poetry is given to action - to battles, hero racing against foe, to Odysseus and Beowulf. It's not given to modern stories like Aurora Leigh, and in

Beautiful poetry by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. I think the story is somewhat autobiographical. Both an interesting story and a beautiful read.

I was only assigned to read Aurora Leigh for class, but I hope to go back and read the other poems sometime in the future.

I really enjoyed Aurora Leigh, but was not so keen on some of the other poems. All the same, it's not what I expected and definitely worth reading. From the point of view of study, the notes were pretty helpful too.

I've always loved her sonnets, but some of her 'other' works are just as beautiful. We easily see professions of affection as love, but EBB's ideas of social change embody her poetry as much as that. The feeling in her poems about the evils of slavery, the ragged children of the poor, and other social problems easily reflect the poetic spirit. I find myself disagreeing with her idea that poets should stick with the present world, rather than writing of 'castles and kings.' When we read or write

Elizabeth Barrett Browning was one of the most respected poets of the Victorian era.Born in County Durham, the eldest of 12 children, Browning was educated at home. She wrote poetry from around the age of six and this was compiled by her mother, comprising what is now one of the largest collections extant of juvenilia by any English writer. At 15 Browning became ill, suffering from intense head

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.