Declare Books Conducive To Winter Rose (Winter Rose #1)
| Original Title: | Winter Rose |
| ISBN: | 0441004385 (ISBN13: 9780441004386) |
| Edition Language: | English |
| Series: | Winter Rose #1 |
| Characters: | Rois Melior, Laurel Melior, Corbet Lynn |
| Literary Awards: | Nebula Award Nominee for Best Novel (1996), Locus Award Nominee for Best Fantasy Novel (1997), Mythopoeic Fantasy Award Nominee (1997) |

Patricia A. McKillip
Mass Market Paperback | Pages: 262 pages Rating: 3.85 | 6841 Users | 373 Reviews
Particularize Appertaining To Books Winter Rose (Winter Rose #1)
| Title | : | Winter Rose (Winter Rose #1) |
| Author | : | Patricia A. McKillip |
| Book Format | : | Mass Market Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Anniversary Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 262 pages |
| Published | : | May 1st 1997 by Ace (first published July 1st 1996) |
| Categories | : | Fantasy. Fiction. Fairy Tales. Young Adult. Romance. Retellings |
Chronicle As Books Winter Rose (Winter Rose #1)
Sorrow and trouble and bitterness will bound you and yours and the children of yours... Some said the dying words of Nial Lynn, murdered by his own son, were a wicked curse. To others, it was a winter's tale spun by firelight on cold, dark nights. But when Corbet Lynn came to rebuild his family estate, memories of his grandfather's curse were rekindled by young and old - and rumours filled the heavy air of summer. In the woods that border Lynn Hall, free-spirited Rois Melior roams wild and barefooted in search of healing herbs. She is as hopelessly unbridled - and unsuited for marriage - as her betrothed sister Laurel is domestic. In Corbet's pale green eyes, Rois senses a desperate longing. In her restless dreams, mixed with the heady warmth of harvest wine, she hears him beckon. And as autumn gold fades, Rois is consumed with Corbet Lynn, obsessed with his secret past - until, across the frozed countryside and in flight from her own imagination, truth and dreams become inseparable...Rating Appertaining To Books Winter Rose (Winter Rose #1)
Ratings: 3.85 From 6841 Users | 373 ReviewsJudge Appertaining To Books Winter Rose (Winter Rose #1)
I intended to write this review yesterday, before the book club that was going to discuss it in the evening. But it didn't matter how many times I opened this page, I just sat there, unable to think of the words I wanted to say about this book. I'd liked it well enough, but damned if I could think of a single thing to say.Note: The rest of this review has been withheld due to the changes in Goodreads policy and enforcement. You can read why I came to this decision here.In the meantime, you canI love the evocative writing where dream and reality blend and are impossible to tell apart. This part was great, as was the hidden magic underneath the surface. What I liked less was way the story dragged out. It's pretty clear from early on that this is going to be a type of Tam Lin retelling. The heroine, Rois wanders out in the night a few too many times looking for Corbert, the mysterious and obviously enchanted/cursed neighbor. It got to be IMO too repetitive. It would have been better to
Ms. McKillip is one of my favorite authors. Her prose is simply beautiful and magical. Loved this broken fairy tale!

I couldn't bring myself to finish this. I tried my utmost to like it, and I've gotten to the point where I feel a kind of moral obligation to finish a book once I start it, but I just couldn't do it. I know P. McKillip's style is all 'dreamy' and 'lyrical' or whatever, good for her, but I don't enjoy that kind of writing - it seems pretentious and unrealistic to me. Plus, I found the plot fatally slow-moving and I disliked the heroine with such a strangely passionate hatred that I longed to
Admittedly I started buying McKillip's books because of their covers, and was lucky enough to find an author that I liked. What I admire about the covers, aside from being lovely, is that they're done by an artist who has obviously read the books. Don't you hate it when you judge a book by it's cover, get it, and even if you LIKE the book come to realize that said cover was done by someone who never bothered to read more then a summary of the contents they're decorating?I think the worst
There is much to admire in this book: some beautifully lyrical, poetic writing, especially of dreams and visions and mysterious moments of two worlds intermingling. But ultimately it is undermined by a climax that remains too elusive and abstract and muddy (featuring dialogue that suddenly becomes jarringly melodramatic) and a general feeling throughout that the poetic prose keeps the emotional heart of the story at arms length.I am still interested in reading more of Patrica A. McKillips work
I've been hearing praise about McKillip's books for a while, so when I found out that she had written a "Tam Lin" retelling, I was excited to finally be introduced to her works.By far my favorite aspect of Winter Rose is the language. Beautiful, nostalgic, and searching, it perfectly conveys the greater themes of the novel. The hard winds sang their way into my dreams again that night. Long, white, insistent fingers of snow brushed against the window glass until I saw the storm out of memory,


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.