Download Free Audio Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo Books

Share:

Itemize Regarding Books Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo

Title:Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo
Author:Eric Hansen
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Anniversary Edition
Pages:Pages: 288 pages
Published:November 14th 2000 by Vintage (first published 1988)
Categories:Travel. Nonfiction. Adventure. Cultural. Asia. Autobiography. Memoir. Biography
Download Free Audio Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo  Books
Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo Paperback | Pages: 288 pages
Rating: 4.11 | 1670 Users | 122 Reviews

Explanation In Pursuance Of Books Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo

Eric Hansen was the first westerner ever to walk across the island of Borneo. Completely cut off from the outside world for seven months, he traveled nearly 1,500 miles with small bands of nomadic hunters known as Penan. Beneath the rain forest canopy, they trekked through a hauntingly beautiful jungle where snakes and frogs fly, pigs climb trees, giant carnivorous plants eat mice, and mushrooms glow at night. At once a modern classic of travel literature and a gripping adventure story, Stranger in the Forest provides a rare and intimate look at the vanishing way of life of one of the last surviving groups of rain forest dwellers. Hansen's absorbing, and often chilling, account of his exploits is tempered with the humor and humanity that prompted the Penan to take him into their world and to share their secrets.

Specify Books To Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo

Original Title: Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo
ISBN: 0375724958 (ISBN13: 9780375724954)
Edition Language: English


Rating Regarding Books Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo
Ratings: 4.11 From 1670 Users | 122 Reviews

Judge Regarding Books Stranger in the Forest: On Foot Across Borneo
I liked the author of this more than the book itself. Trekking through Borneo is a quixotic quest (no Westerner having penetrated the dense interior forests before). Yet Hansen persists. He learns enough of the local dialects to barter for goods & services and soon sets off on his expedition to the remotest parts of Borneo. Hes a sensitive, curious observer. He conveys how amazed he is at the survival skills that his native guides possess and how grateful he is for their unstinting help in

When Eric Hansen traveled to Borneo in 1982, he was hoping to revisit people and places of his trip 6 years earlier. What he found reminded me of the John Pryne song about Paradise, KY Mr. Peabodys coal train just hauled it away; In this case it was the timber industry.The people who once lived by farming, fishing and trade were now adjusting to their clear cut land and the outside world that came with it. Hansens search for the longhouse when he attended wildest party ever (this has to be read

I looove traveling, so naturally I love reading about it, too.The main difference between me and Eric Hansen is not so much that he has managed to go to more exotic locations and write books about it (though that is one of the differences), the main point where we go on diverging paths is what we consider a n adventure. See, when I was in New Zealand I decided while backpacking around that I wouldn't book a place for the night of New Year's Eve and spend it on the beach to watch the sunrise

While a really good book, I could not, somehow, really enjoy it. It was well written, but Eric's adventure lacked aim/purpose and that made it difficult for me to get hooked. He was in no hurry to get anywhere, although at various times he was anxious to get away from a place immediately... he was just wandering from one place to another and enjoyed doing so.I enjoyed reading about his adventure, and envied him the time he got to spend in almost complete isolation from the modern society just

Classic As a professor, reading for pleasure is not often an option for me. This book, however I have read many times. I read it in my 20s after a professor gave it to me as a gift when I left the University of Alaska Fairbanks to pursue my PhD. I read it again in my 30s on my first trip to Kalimantan and in my 40s during a research stint in Sabah. It was then that my son read it, too, while with me at Danum Valley.Cody Roman read it soon after reading another regional classic, Alfred Russel

Hansen's tale of his trek through Borneo is absorbing, especially as he comes to grips with his own inadequacies along the journey. Relying (one might almost say at the mercy of) native guides, he's initially almost unable to cope. His gradual adjustment to the jungle is what makes this account so compelling. Like Redmond O'Hanlon's No Mercy, this is an account of a spiritual as well as physical trek. (Although this is nowhere nearly as dark a travelogue as O'Hanlon's, I'm happy to say.) Hansen

This was a fabulous book and one of the best travel memoirs I've ever read, and I have certainly read my share. I appreciated the author's willingness to actually learn about all of the other cultures and he never mocked them for their beliefs. He had such an amazing adventure and it makes me sad to think of what the logging industry has done to Borneo.The only two criticisms I had about the book was how dense it was...even though it isn't really a criticism. I found this book a little hard to

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.