Download A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains Free Books Full Version

Share:

Point Books In Favor Of A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains

Original Title: A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
ISBN: 0806113286 (ISBN13: 9780806113289)
Edition Language: English URL http://www.indiana.edu/~letrs/vwwp/bird/rocky.html
Setting: United States of America Denver, Colorado,1873(United States)
Download A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains  Free Books Full Version
A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains Paperback | Pages: 282 pages
Rating: 3.97 | 2227 Users | 313 Reviews

Commentary In Pursuance Of Books A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains

A cosmopolitan, middle-aged Englishwoman touring the Rocky Mountains in 1873, Isabella Bird had embarked upon a trip that called for as much stamina as would have been expected of an explorer or anthropologist — and she was neither! Possessing a prodigious amount of curiosity and a huge appetite for traveling, she journeyed later in life to India, Tibet, China, Japan, Korea, and Canada and wrote eight successful books about her adventures. In this volume, she paints an intimate picture of the "Wild West," writing eloquently of flora and fauna, isolated settlers and assorted refugees from civilization, vigilance committees and lynchings, and crude table manners yet a gentle civility — even chivalry — among the men she encountered in the wilderness. Thoughtfully written, this captivating narrative provides a vibrant account of a bygone era and the people that forever changed the face of the frontier.

Particularize Epithetical Books A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains

Title:A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
Author:Isabella Lucy Bird
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:First Edition
Pages:Pages: 282 pages
Published:December 15th 1975 by University of Oklahoma Press (first published 1879)
Categories:Nonfiction. Travel. History. Biography. Autobiography. Memoir. Adventure

Rating Epithetical Books A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
Ratings: 3.97 From 2227 Users | 313 Reviews

Criticism Epithetical Books A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains
I am completely enchanted with Isabella Bird as an amazing woman and as a writer! Just a few chapters into A Lady's Life in the Rocky Mountains, I had to return the copy I borrowed from the library and purchase a copy. There were so many beautiful passages, sentences and phrases that I felt compelled to highlight for future rereading. Her descriptions of both the beauty and the harshness of Colorado's geography and weather are worthy of being framed and displayed in an art museum! She paints

The old and almost forgotten art of letter writing that once flourished from the pens men and women before the twentieth Century is presented in A Ladys Life in the Rocky Mountains by Isabella L. Bird. In almost poetic verse her letters are much more than just readable and interesting but a glimpse of the west that will never be seen again. Isabella Lucy Bird (October 15, 1831-October 7, 1904) was born in Boroughbridge, England and spent a large part of her life traveling. In 1872 she left

"I cannot describe my feelings on this ride, produced by the utter loneliness, the silence and dumbness of all things, the snow falling quietly without wind, the obliterated mountains, the darkness, the intense cold, and the unusual and appalling aspect of nature. All life was in a shroud, all work and travel suspended. There was not a foot-mark or wheel-mark. There was nothing to be afraid of; and though I cant exactly say that I enjoyed the ride, yet there was the pleasant feeling of gaining

In fall 1873 Bird travelled by train, apparently alone, from San Francisco to Lake Tahoe, where she rented horses and looked around up in the mountains. Then the train through Wyoming to Ft. Collins, Colorado. Then rented a horse again, staying with various settlers living in remote parts of the foothills of the Rockies., mostly struggling for a miserable existence. Then she gets lucky and finds a Welsh couple's farm in Estes Park, 'park' being a local term to refer to a large mountain valley

I've been meaning to read this more decades than I care to say: more's the pity that I waited so long: this is a book to re-read again and again! It is a very quick and extremely entertianing read. Isabella Bird is one of a kind, incredibly bold--a burly mountain man would have had trouble keeping up with some of her innumerable cross-country treks in a single Colorado autumnal visit. Her lyrical penned descriptions of the Colorado Front Range will never be equalled (post Victorian writers would

Isabella Bird was an adventuring marvel, especially for the time (1800s) of her travels. At times I had to remind myself that I was reading non-fic as her bravery and escapades were truly remarkable! I love books depicting nature as well and she was thoroughly descriptive. Very descriptive.

My grandma gave me this book for my seventeenth birthday, 18 months before she died, with the inscription, "Melody, dear -- Isabella Bird will surely take you on a grand adventure! Hope you enjoy the trip." Nearly 13 years later, I've discovered that she was right, and I wonder what took me so long to set out for the Rocky Mountains of 1872. I guess I didn't expect much of an adventure, but was pleased to find that Bird was no passive observer. She immersed herself in the places she travelled,

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.