Online Books She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2) Free Download

Share:

Specify Containing Books She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2)

Title:She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2)
Author:Haven Kimmel
Book Format:Paperback
Book Edition:Special Edition
Pages:Pages: 313 pages
Published:February 1st 2007 by Free Press (first published December 1st 2005)
Categories:Autobiography. Memoir. Nonfiction. Humor. Biography. Biography Memoir. Family
Online Books She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2) Free Download
She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2) Paperback | Pages: 313 pages
Rating: 4.05 | 9345 Users | 1042 Reviews

Explanation Conducive To Books She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2)

In this sequel to the top-selling A Girl Named Zippy, the woman rising heroically from the couch is Zippy's mother, Delonda. After years of languorous existence, this oversized couch potato emerged from the den to pursue a higher education. Delonda was well read but in other ways seemed ill suited for college: This middle-aged, 260-pound coed had a husband who disapproved of the entire venture, no driver's license, and almost no money. Like its predecessor, She Got Up Off the Couch holds our attention with its sympathetic rendering of idiosyncratic family characters. Hilarious; heartbreaking; ultimately empowering.

Details Books In Favor Of She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2)

Original Title: She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana
ISBN: 074328500X (ISBN13: 9780743285001)
Edition Language: English
Series: Zippy #2
Setting: Mooreland, Indiana(United States) Indiana(United States)


Rating Containing Books She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2)
Ratings: 4.05 From 9345 Users | 1042 Reviews

Judge Containing Books She Got Up Off the Couch: And Other Heroic Acts from Mooreland, Indiana (Zippy #2)
What a beautiful tribute to Haven Kimmel's family and friends. This book is a love letter to them.But funny (not cheesy). And sad sometimes. And it made me nostalgic for a time that I wasn't even a part of. I loved Delonda, her mother. What a wonderful role model. Nothing was stopping her from getting an education and a job and her very own life. Didn't matter that her husband didn't support her, didn't matter that she didn't have a car (at first, but then oh boy, she finds a car). I loved her.

This is the second time I read this gem. This year's challenge for "book I've read before that never fails to make me smile." Love Zippy and love this sequel as well. Kimmel is such a talented writer. She makes me want to start writing down all my family stories, which is what everyone should do! Moments of heartbreak, triumph, nostalgia, and hilarity. What every good book should have!

I enjoy reading memoirs. It makes me wish I could write my own. While I'm not much like Zippy, there were a few things I could relate to in her life. She starts out saying this story is about her mother, but it is still more about her. But that's fair--she knows herself better. I wouldn't mind reading the book on her younger years now. I don't think reading out of sequence is a problem. I'm pretty sure this one didn't give away any surprises.

I appreciate the author's sense of humor. Her ability to flip a phrase and make the reader laugh is impressive. However, I think the title of the book is a bit misleading. Her mother's triumphant return to 'life,' while admirable, is only a small part of the book. The rest is an amazing collection of the author's childhood memories strung together loosely under the aegis of the title. I think this book is far darker than it first appears. The rats...the unheated home, (except for one room)the

I read Kimmel's first memoir, A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana during one of my annual girls' trips to Mexico a couple years back. While taking in the sun, tasty margaritas and enjoying the simple things, I was enamored with this quirky small-town girl and her cleverly down-home way with words. She made childhood in a town of just 300 (THAT'S small!) a bit romantic. Living where everyone knows your name (forget that they all know your business, too) and where life seems

This is the second time I read this gem. This year's challenge for "book I've read before that never fails to make me smile." Love Zippy and love this sequel as well. Kimmel is such a talented writer. She makes me want to start writing down all my family stories, which is what everyone should do! Moments of heartbreak, triumph, nostalgia, and hilarity. What every good book should have!

This sequel to A Girl Named Zippy is the July pick for my in-person book club. Ostensibly this book is about the authors mother who, after two decades of a paralyzing lethargy from an oppressive marriage and grinding poverty, got her college degree in 2 years and went on to a masters degree and a successful career. In actuality, this was a collection of more cute stories of growing up in small town America, of broken bones and school plays, of meeting her first African American family and

No comments

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.