Particularize Out Of Books Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science
| Title | : | Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science |
| Author | : | Clair Brown |
| Book Format | : | Hardcover |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 224 pages |
| Published | : | February 21st 2017 by Bloomsbury Press |
| Categories | : | Nonfiction. Economics. Religion. Buddhism. Business. Spirituality. Finance. Politics |
Clair Brown
Hardcover | Pages: 224 pages Rating: 3.65 | 135 Users | 30 Reviews
Description In Pursuance Of Books Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science
Traditional economics measures the ways in which we spend our income, and doesn't attribute worth to the crucial human interactions that give our lives meaning.Clair Brown, an economist at UC Berkeley and a practicing Buddhist, has developed a holistic model, one based on the notion that quality of life should be measured by more than national income. Brown advocates an approach to organizing the economy that embraces, rather than skirts, questions of values, sustainability, and inequality. Complementing the award-winning work of Paul Krugman and Jeffrey Sachs, and the paradigm-breaking spirit of Thomas Piketty and Amartya Sen, Brown incorporates the Buddhist emphasis on interconnectedness, capability, and happiness into her vision for a sustainable and compassionate world.
Buddhist economics leads us to think mindfully as we go about our daily activities, and offers a way to appreciate how our actions affect the welfare of those around us. By replacing the endless cycle of desire with more positive collective priorities, our lives can become more meaningful as well as happier. Inspired by the popular seminar course Brown developed for UC Berkeley that has garnered international attention, Buddhist Economics represents an enlightened approach to our modern world infused with ancient wisdom, with benefits both personal and global, for generations to come.

Itemize Books Toward Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science
| ISBN: | 1632863669 (ISBN13: 9781632863669) |
Rating Out Of Books Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science
Ratings: 3.65 From 135 Users | 30 ReviewsCritique Out Of Books Buddhist Economics: An Enlightened Approach to the Dismal Science
Part of my low rating is due to my judgment that, although the authors heart is generally in the right place, I dont think this book will be persuasive to anyone who doesnt already holds at least a somewhat similar worldview to the authors. I am not talking about the Buddhism aspect to the book, because I think what is substantive about that component could just as easily be replaced by something else, such as Christianity. Instead, I think the alternative view on economics, which is sorelyWith trepidation I tried to read this book. I actually got 10 pages into it before I had to quit. This book is an attempt to push the typical liberal economic view of the world under the guise of Buddhist teachings. I am not an expert on Buddhism but know in general it teaches that the way to peace is to control your yearnings. Clair Brown's approach seems to be to indulge the liberal yearning to use the government to take from the rich and give to the poor. She would have been much better
I had hoped to like this book more. After all, the blurbs on its back cover from Nobel Laureate Amartya Sen, Former Labor Secretary Robert Reich, Columbia University economist Jeffrey Sachs, and environmentalist Bill McKibben, all sing its praises. My own view is more mixed, however.First, let me outline what I liked about the book. The author, University of California-Berkeley economist Clair Brown, correctly diagnoses our societys greatest errors and failings: its fostering of obscene levels

This is not an easy read, particularly if you are not an economist. She really dives into the environmental impact of global policies and practices. Lots of great information, but the author's tone is a little too preachy. In the current Trump era her concerns are even more valid.
She comes from Tampa way back when & I find that interesting but so far, no one I've asked knows of her. For many years, she's been on the economics (labor) faculty at UC Berkeley. She mentions some very powerful collaborators. The first half of this small volume is pretty much a waste to my taste - mostly a compendium of warm & fuzzy, Buddhist-y platitudes. But I should mention that in her preface, she states that this is not a book for experts & she expects that some readers will
Great theory based book and well researched. There are some extreme theories presented but the underlying message is great. Anyone with an open mind could learn a lot from this book even if they don't agree with many of its principles.
I was quite disappointed by this book. It's not that it's a bad book, per se--aside from a few obvious errors, her analysis is basically correct and well-argued. The problem is that there's very little that's distinctively Buddhist about said analysis. With only minor changes, this could have just as easily been titled "Progressive Economics" or "Egalitarian-Environmental Economics". So if you're already familiar with economics, particularly modern leftist/environmental economics, there's not


No comments
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.